CCHI is pleased to announce the 2018 Spring Cycle of the “Discover Healthcare Interpreting” CoreCHI™ Scholarship. Our other contributor this cycle is UMTIA (Upper Midwest Translators & Interpreters Association). UMTIA in collaboration with Allina Health held an interpreter professional development event in December 2017 and donated the registration fees to the Discover HCI Scholarship fund. This is a true testament to how interpreters themselves support the profession and their colleagues.
The purpose of the scholarship is to support interpreters of languages for which only the CoreCHI™ certification is currently available, including refugee languages and languages of lesser diffusion. Thanks to the generous contribution from Liberty Language Services, UMTIA, and the Commissioners, CCHI will award up to five (5) scholarships, in the amount of $210 each.
What is the scholarship amount? Each scholarship is $210 and covers the CCHI application fee ($35) and the fee for one administration of the CoreCHI™ exam ($175).
How to apply?
· Click here to download the Scholarship Application in MS Word format. Please read and follow the instructions. The application consists of 4 sections:
o Demographic information
o Statements of Eligibility and Release of Liability
o Essay on one of the specified topics (300-500 words)
o Applicant’s bio.
· The application must be complete and emailed as one (1) file. Incomplete applications are not reviewed.
· Email the complete application as an MS Word or pdf file attachment to [email protected]
· The scholarships are awarded only to new applicants (i.e. those who have not submitted a certification application prior to the scholarship award) and cannot be used retroactively.
Who can apply?
· Interpreters who meet CCHI’s eligibility requirements (www.cchicertification.org/44-
· Interpreters of languages for whom a CHI™ oral performance exam is not available, i.e. CoreCHI™ candidates. This scholarship is not available to Arabic, Mandarin or Spanish interpreters. (We are looking for potential sponsors of the CHI™ certification candidates.)
· Interpreters who agree to take the CoreCHI™ exam within six (6) months of receiving the scholarship.
When to apply?
Applications for the Fall Cycle must be submitted via email by 11:59 pm PDT on May 31, 2018. Applications submitted after this date are not reviewed.
How are winners selected?
· CCHI Scholarship Committee reviews complete applications submitted within the announced deadline.
· Applicants must meet CCHI certification eligibility criteria (www.cchicertification.org/44-
· Applicants must agree to all terms of Section 2 of the application.
· CCHI representatives may contact finalists for an over-the-phone/teleconferencin
CCHI Scholarship Committee awards scholarships based on merit. The number of scholarships awarded each cycle depends on the funds availability and is subject to change. CCHI reserves the right to suspend or discontinue scholarship awards at any time and without any notice.
When are winners announced?
The winners of the Spring Cycle scholarships are announced on July 15, 2018.